Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mama Zen, At It Again


About a week ago, Zen started lactating, plus she looked like she was about to explode, so I knew the kittens were near.  Of course, in order to avoid another Mid-Night Adventure all over my foot, she was banned from cuddling in my bed.

Well, I decided to watch a little TV (on my 2.5" Zune) mid-day (very unusual) and violated one of my own rules (also unusal) allowing her to cuddle in bed with me while I did.  Luckily, I can report she did not have a kitten then, but as soon as I removed her from the bed at the end of the episode, she started going crazy.  I had an idea what she was complaining about, so I took her to her basket and she immediately rolled up in it and kept quiet.  That is, until I attempted to leave the room, when she would follow me and complain till I returned to the room with her basket in it.

About an hour later, the first kitten was born.

Baby Merissa Peace, female
There were some of the unpleasantries that come with along with child birth, then Zen fell asleep as the kitten nursed.  What's this? Did Grandpa Nick get lucky and Zen decided to keep this litter at a single kitten?!?  Yay!

Nope.  I left the room, cooked dinner, and before sitting down to dinner, checked on Zen and her kitten, only to discover she decided to pop out two more while I was gone.

Baby Jon, male deceased

Baby Roni Mack, male

Wow, a cat that has a kitten, takes a nap, then has two more a couple hours later.  We knew she was strange, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.  So, after dinner, we had a photo shoot and then I went to bed.

The next morning, the lighting was much better, so I got pictures of mom with her nice litter of three.

Zen with her kittens
I know I haven't had my coffee, so my vision was a little blurry, but something looks off in this picture.

One, Two, Three...Four???

So, I guess Zen decided going through labor in all at once is for rookies, and she did it in three spells.

Baby Landarr, male deceased
So, my house is once again full of kittens.  All four appear to be very happy and healthy, as well as Mama Zen.  Hopefully, there will be an abundance of adorable pictures to come soon.

Zen's fourth litter of kitten, second in my house


Updates:
2 January 2014 - Upon returning from being gone two nights, I found only Baby Merissa and Baby Roni.  The other two kittens have disappeared.  It is likely that they died and Zen disposed.

21 February 2014 - Zen and I are now fostering another kitten.  This one belongs to a Tonga PCV, Colleen, who's cat has recently been injured and is with a real veterinarian in Lilongwe.  It's only a couple weeks younger than my kittens and is about the same size, and since Susan is taking this kitten and also transporting a kitten for Lea (who already has one of Fletch's puppies), it will work out logistically.  Zen has been a great sport about this and has even been seen cuddling with and nursing the new kitten.
Athena (left) quickly found her place in the litter
with Baby Roni (right) and Baby Merissa (bottom).

31 February 2014 - All the kids are gone!  The house is once again an 'adult only zone.'

No comments:

Post a Comment