Sunday, December 01, 2013

Thanksgiving(s)

Last year, unfortunately, I didn't get much of a Thanksgiving. We had a "Thanksgiving" dinner at Maji Zuwa, but other than J's mango cobbler and blue-berry muffins, there was nothing American about the meal (we had chapatis, rice, and beef stew). This was a big change from my three Thanksgivings I've had for the previous few years (work, Mom's, the Dad's).

This year was completely different! I wanted a proper Thanksgiving, as did Donald and Sara. So, we planned one. Since the 12 Pubs of Mzuzu (an annual Christmas kickoff for northern Malawi ex-pats) was scheduled the following Saturday, we planned a Black Friday Thanksgiving in Mzuzu. We also planned to get two live chickens and have the "Cleanest Kill Contest" between Sara and myself (I won).

After this was planned, I got word that the United States Ambassador and Matt Maroon had arranged for a Thanksgiving lunch for Karonga PCVs and Latitude Volunteers (an NGO Matt is country director for) at Maji Zuwa. I was also told that following the lunch, she would visit my school and my house, a huge honor. 

Then, a week before Thanksgiving was finally upon us, I went to the post office to discover a care package. Uncle Dan had sent me a full Thanksgiving dinner (canned turkey, gravy, stuffing mix, cranberry sauce, and much more). 

Well, Thanksgiving week, on Tuesday, I made my care-package Thanksgiving dinner. 

Thanks Juice!
Thursday was our Maji Zuwa Thanksgiving with Ambassador Jackson. 

Abbie cooked most of the food
 Then Friday was A Very Mzuni Thanksgiving. 

This meal made possible by Shoprite Mzuzu

No comments:

Post a Comment