Saturday, July 27, 2013

50%

I'm riding on a minibus between Uliwa and Mzuzu.  The purpose of this trip has multiple reasons, including to see off my very close friend, Melissa, to celebrate another close friend's birthday and induction into the Mzuzu Lion's Club, and of course, to get money from the ATM.

I manage to work my way to a back row window seat after about thirty minutes.  We are four wide (plus an infant).  At around the 1.5 hour mark (half way), I feel something brush up against my sandled foot.  I look down, and realize there is a hen riding at my feet resting her weary head on my foot.  I'm not startled, or even the least bit surprised.

At some point, this not only stopped being weird, but it became completely normal.  The thought of riding on a vehicle at normal capacity without the possibility of live-stock on board seems odd and foreign.

I guess it is appropriate that this occurred on the day that marks Peace Corps Malawi Education 2012 being 50% done with our service.

No comments:

Post a Comment