Thursday, June 05, 2014

Today's Minibus Ride

Just thought I'd recap what is a not-too-unusual minibus ride I had on my way home from school today. 

I had to wait about 30min for a ride. The roads were deserted. In that time, one pickup (that I flagged but didn't stop) and a semi (same) passed. Then, a slow going minibus to Mzuzu pulled up.

I load into the middle row that's empty, as this bus is unusually vacant. The man in the back is quite sick. We drive a ways and reach the next major chipitala (clinic) where the sick man exited and another man boards with a large car battery. A little ways down the road we stop, reverse about 300m, and pick up a woman with a tray full of pieces of fish. Then we barely get back up to speed before stopping to pick up two students. 

The conductor asks me to pay by holding out his hand and snapping (not actually rude here), so I ask "zilinga" (how much). He responds "five hundred," to which I must point out that my journey is only half of one that is known to cost 500. He consults the driver, who asks me if 300 is acceptable. It is. 

For the next couple of kilometers, the minibus conductor is picking up the fish pieces, looking at them, and putting them back down. We stop and let the students off at St Anne's CDSS. The conductor, bored with the fish, wipes his hand on the back of the front seat. 

We continue on, and I purchase a particularly delectable piece of fish from the woman. The driver then drops her off and she pays him with a piece of fish. After that, a little further down the road, the police flag the minibus to stop (routine check or speeding offense, I don't know, but a bribe would likely be required). Luckily, they're based in Uliwa and I just get out and head to the post office. 

Wait! The driver calls me back. He can't help but notice that I'm holding some plant cuttings, which are basil I received from Dan, a sitemate, while staying with him. The driver asks me what it is, so I tell him "food." We both eat a leaf, which he seems to enjoy. He then asks if I can "share him" one of the cuttings so he can plant it. I oblige by splitting one and giving him the smaller piece. 

I walk away thinking of tonight's dinner: kampango fish cooked in a cheesy tomato sauce with fresh basil serves over rice and accompanied by a cold Kuche Kuche. I love Malawi!
Probably the best meal in Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment