Saturday, June 28, 2014

Musambizgi!

Here's a delightfully embarrassing tale. Background info: I'm currently traveling around the 11 schools in my cluster guest-teaching a double period at each (80min) on tables, graphs, and charts, a common element on most sections of the national exam. 

I was visiting Khwawa CDSS, Aaron and Abby's old school, and one I have visited many times. A young, new teacher was serving as my counterpart for this lesson. We walked into the classroom, he introduced me, and I began the lesson. 

Halfway through this lesson, there comes a point where students need to copy some notes. I was walking around, making sure the students were actually taking notes, when I came across one that was dozing off and didn't even have his notebook out. I reprimanded him by say, "why aren't you taking notes? If you want to sleep, you can go home." Some students in the class started shouting "musambizgi" [teacher]. I didn't quite get what they were shouting this for, until another student said, "Sir, that is a teacher." 

Sure enough, it was not only a teacher, but the one that introduced me. 

1 comment: