Sunday, June 29, 2014

Gone Fishin'

Finally, for the first time, I got to go fishing in Malawi today. A site-mate, Dan, and I had an iwe (Malawian child) named Chimwewe show us to his catfish hole. I managed to snag a small chambo (about 6"). When I say snag, I mean it got tangled in the reeds and Chimwewe waded into the water and untangled it. We also caught a few micro-catfish (about 3").

At one point, I was sitting on a tree stump, with Chimwewe next to me and his friend on the other side of the river. Chimwewe had is friend throw the stringer of fish over. The stringer hit the stump and stirred up a previously unnoticed hornet's nest. Chimwewe bailed before pointing it out to me. I calmly worked my way off the stump trying to avoid it, but halfway off, they swarmed, so I shouted a colorful word and just dove for the shore, that luckily Dan had just vacated. Four stings for my efforts. Worth it for a good day fishin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment