Friday, September 20, 2013

Tako's First Litter

This is not a happy or funny update. I debated even posting it, but I decided it is only fair to keep you all updated. 

Great news, upon returning from Tanzania, I discovered that Tako had her kittens. According to my friend watching the house, they were born on August 25th. Three black kittens (I'm going to go out on a limb and say the father is a black cat). She had gotten up under the mosquito net in my guest room and had the litter on that bed, which is where I found them when I got home on Sunday. 

Tako and 3 kittens
 Well, Monday was the first day of school, so I woke up and hurried off to a 3 hour long staff meeting. Once I got home, I went into the guest room to check on the new family to discover that Tak had been unable to get back under the net to where her kittens were. She was laying on top of the net, which was then pushed down onto the mattress, but she was unable to keep the kittens together and two of them had died from cold. I buried them together in the same box and made a small headstone.

I'm happy to report that the last kitten is doing very well, and I have gone with the baby name Baby Kibo (the top part of Mt Kilimanjaro covered in glaciers) because of her conquering of cold and adversity that even those of us that have climbed Kili can not imagine. Tako and Baby Kibo have been moved out from the bed and the net has been properly tucked in to prevent future tragedy. 

Baby Kibo
Sorry this isn't a cheery one, but so is life. 

The other of the puppies and kittens have all gone off to their new homes, leaving my house peaceful once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment