Monday, September 30, 2013

Mystery in the Sky

Last night, I was laying in bed watching a movie on my Zune (Might Ducks) when at around 8:00pm I hear from outside (my head master):

"Mr. Parr. Niko! Nicholas!!! We need a scientist! Something is happening!!!"

I came outside to see what they were referring to. In the night sky, a glowing white halo (a white ring, dark in the center) of significant size (~4x's the diameter of the moon) appeared in the haze in the eastern sky. It the eclipsed from the bottom up.

At first, I thought it might be a lunar eclipse blocked by clouds, but the moon wasn't scheduled to rise until 2:00am. When I checked Star Chart, all the showed up in that direction was Uranus. Any insights would be appreciated. Sadly, I got out there to late to get a picture. 

11 Oct 2013 - Update: The mystery in the sky has been solved. Apparently, a Falcon 9 rocket launched by a private company, Space X, launched out of California, jettisoning its extra fuel before reentry. The fuel reflected the sunlight down to our dark part of the earth, creating the anomaly seen along the East African coast. The articles can be found here http://m.nbcnews.com/science/ufo-over-indian-ocean-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-sparks-sightings-4B11297922


No comments:

Post a Comment