Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Q&A with this RPCV


I'd like to address a few of the common questions I've been getting since I've gotten back.

"Would you do it again?"
I have two answers to this.  (1) Would I sign up again and do a second tour? Probably not.  (2) Knowing what I know now, would I have gone to Malawi the first time? Hell yes!

"Do I plan to visit Malawi again sometime in the future?"
Of course, but I know that it will never be the same.  I've both traveled and actually lived in foreign places before, and I know that there is a huge difference in the two.  Even after living in Chilumba for so long, getting to know so many people, learning the language, and (hopefully) making a lasting impact, I know that when I go back, I'll once again be the outsider.

"Do you have Ebola?"
 Yes, come over here so I can cough on you.  Seriously though, people (not you, you're ok because you're reading this)!  Buy a map, and realize that Europe is far closer to the outbreak than Malawi.  Africa is big.

"How are you adjusting?"
Pretty well, I think.  I'm no longer freaked out by running water or refrigerators, or electricity.  However, I no longer feel the need to leave the TV on when I'm not actually watching it, I sometimes forget to turn lights on at night, and I still find air conditioning a little odd, but I think (hope) these are more permanent changes.  Overall, I'm quite happy.

"What are you going to do next?"
Find a job.  That's a much slower process than you'd think.  Non-competitive eligibility (federal job hiring preference) and having Peace Corps on your resume doesn't magical make everyone want to hire you.  It's a slow process, especially since I'm changing gears a little (I'm looking at work in Marine Ecology which my Bachelor's Degree is in, instead of Biomechanics, which is what my Master's Degree is in).  I'll be fine, and due to my cheap lifestyle, low gas prices, and almost free forms of entertainment (outdoors stuff), money isn't really an issue yet.  As for what else is in the future, who knows, and that's what makes it so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment