Monday, June 18, 2012

“We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” ~John F. Kennedy


Why did I decide to join the Peace Corps?  That is a very common questions, and one I don’t even know how to answer, but here’s my best attempt.

The first time I applied to the Peace Corps, I wanted to see the world, make a difference, and spend some more time of my life living abroad.  See, that time it was easy to answer, but I was also 21, naïve, had no job prospects, a sad excuse of a GPA, and the thought of entering the horribly recession hit job market with a degree that was appropriately named a B.S. scared the crap out of me.  Basically, I applied that time because I wanted to spend a couple years doing something fun and exciting while putting off the inevitable.  I happened to be at the study abroad fair seeing what was new in the world of international studies, and I was told Peace Corps was a real thing that people like I actually do.  See, why couldn’t people ask me “why did you decide to join the Peace Corps that time you didn’t actually go?”  The key part of that is: I didn’t actually go.  I got a great offer into a Master’s program with what to date is the best job I’ve ever had, I had an exciting relationship, and it was easier to not go than tell my Dad I was going.

So that brings us to October 2010.  But to get to October 2010, we must first rewind to August.  That exciting relationship that I just knew was the one, and we were going to be together forever …ya…that didn’t end so well.  Boo hoo, tears cried (well, I’m assuming I would have cried tears if I had normal human emotions, but I had the equivalent emotional movement in my own terms), and of course no regrets (I’d do it all again if I had the choice, minus folding on certain arguments). 

So a few weeks after the break-up, I was over it.  Yup, I mourn quickly.  I’m in my ‘thinking room’ where a surprising number of my major life decisions have been made, and where I tend to go when I need to think…the shower (see, there is no way I’ll be able to ET cause I’d need a shower to come to such a decision).  The little cartoon light-bulb popped on over my head (thank you scuba for all my flashlights being waterproof).  I think, “Hey, that Peace Corps thing sounded cool in undergrad, and I’m single now, I should find Amy one of these days (Amy being both my PC recruiter and one of the most amazing awesome people ever).  Well, in the way of the busy graduate student that spends all his waking time in class, working, or in the lab, I didn’t exactly drop everything and find Amy.  Actually, I didn’t even email her.  BUT, someone on the other-side thought I was onto something, so a few weeks later, I’m in the lab and think “Hey, I like food, I should go get some.” (Yes, most of my thoughts start with the word “hey.”)  Well lucky for me, this particular moment of hunger just so happened to coincide with the Study Abroad fair, and once again I see the booth set up in some prime real estate with that cool looking logo.  I walk up and Amy goes “Hey Nick, come around here and give me a hug!”  How she remembered my name, let alone cared about my existence enough to give me a hug is another one of the great mysteries of the universe and another way Amy is awesome.  (Wow, I am getting way off topic here.)  Anyways, I talk to her about reapplying, and then the process began.

So, bringing it back to the original topic, why I decided to join the Peace Corps.  I decided to join the Peace Corps because that’s what my brain said I should do while standing in the shower.  Professionally, I could get an awesome resume builder and live in Latin America where I could perfect my Spanish (ya…plans change and you just gotta roll with it).  Personally, I’d get to see the world and spend more time living abroad.  However, if you want to know the deeper and ultimate reason, it was because I realized that even if only once in my life, I knew I could do something truly amazing and make a significant impact in other people’s lives.  No matter what I do in the future, I can always know that for one brief moment, I did the right thing, even when it wasn’t the normal or easy thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment