Saturday, July 05, 2014

The Maru Research Center

A local ex-pat friend (and former PCV), Justin Kraus, runs a dive shop down in Kande Beach, Aquanuts Divers.  It's not too far from Melissa's old site, so I knew the area and knew it was some of the prettiest bit of beach in Malawi.

Kande Beach, Nkhata Bay, Malawi


Well, Justin also operates a research center out of the dive shop, The Maru Research Center.  We had a conversation one night about his work and how he wanted to get his work published.  I offered to help him in the endeavor, and what will hopefully be a lasting business relationship was formed.  He invited me to come down to Kande Beach sometime before I leave, see the research center, and start processing the data.

After leaving GTOT in Lilongwe, I decided to take him up on this invitation.  I spent three days around Kande processing data (staring at a computer monitor), but also watching the occasional World Cup game and going on a couple of dives to see the transect and quadrant methods being used.




I am going to continue working with Justin from the US, to get this initial population study published.  Since this is the exact type of research I want to go into and get a Ph.D. in, I hope to continue working with him on a part-time basis as long as he is willing to keep the research center active and I'm able to provide a second opinion on the results.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to go to Kande Beach work with Justin too, in May 2015. My internship has just been approved and I am so excited to do research on my dream lake!

    ReplyDelete