Friday, June 21, 2013

My Greatest Moments of My First Year

Today makes one year of my life in Malawi. I have been celebrating this occasion by serving a a resource volunteer for the new Ed13 group.

One of the new trainees asked me what the best part of my service so at was. I was floored. I expected questions like what my biggest challenges were, and of course a demand for war stories, or what life in Malawi is like, but for some reason I wasn't ready for my greatest moments.

Well, since today is a celebration, I guess I should have a happy post and come up with a few. I can't promise these are all my greatest moments, but they are some of my favorites. Sorry to Peace Corps, but they don't all have to do with my job. 

1) First, we will start early, at swearing in. While the swearing in ceremony was a disappointment (we barely got snacks and the ambassador wasn't even there), as I took that oath, I felt a pride that can never me beaten. My greatest dream, to be a Peace Corps Volunteer, serving my country and my planet by helping those who need and deserve it, had come to fruition.

2) Once I was at site, I had a rough time. That was largely due to a drug induced depression (Mefloquine side-effects), and partly due to an unfurnished house. It is also a time when it's hard to feel wanted or loved. You are disconnected from your family and friends in the states, and your friendships with people here are still new. Even those from your own training group still feel a little like forced friendships. However, I had a couple of what I considered better friends at the time come by my house for a visit before joining a much bigger party nearby. Even though there was a much better party with lot of fun to be had, they chose to visit me. One of them was actually ill and still felt the visit was a good idea. That feeling of being wanted was exactly what I needed, and is probably the biggest turning point in my service. It wouldn't have happened if they hadn't taken the effort to show me I was important to them. Since then, they have become my two closest friends in this country, friends I'm certain I will keep for life. Thank you Donald and Melissa. 

3) I can't put my finger on the exact moment, because I think it was gradual, but somewhere around November I realized that I was happy with my life here. I know this sounds bad, like I wasn't happy before that, and there is some truth to that. However, at some point it just clicked that this was not only where I needed to be, a fact that I have not denied at any point in my service, but it was where I wanted to be. I had a great house, two wonderful daughters, friends in my village, wine in a bucket, and a fulfilling job. That is a combination that I don't think many people, ex-pat or otherwise, ever truly feel. It is the realization of self-actualization. Wow.

4) For the last one, I honestly have to say it is this moment. I was selected not only to help train this new group, but I was hand picked to be their first impression of the organization that I have literally bled for. I don't know that I am worthy of such an honor, but if not, I'm glad they made the mistake. The trainees spending hours after dinner just asking questions and being completely engrossed in my answers is an honor that I don't know I will ever match again in my life. Apparently, I actually have some nugget of wisdom to offer. While I still fail to believe that I am in fact a second year volunteer now, and I have an even harder time believing that I somehow am a better adjusted person than anyone else, I can look at what I'm doing and be proud to be a small part of making their Peace Corps experience something amazing. I know my week zero volunteers will always be a very important part of my service, and maybe Jaime and I will be honored in the same way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment