Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fun Stuff and "Azungu, I'll Give You Money"

So not too much going on out of the ordinary. 

For you Game of Thrones fans, we have a long running and very complicated joke about how Peace Corps Malawi and GoT are similar (since we all have a ton of free time, we tend to read them, and even though they're 1000+ pages each, it only takes a couple weeks each).  As someone in Karonga, I'm am one of the Karonga Brothers.  As a Karonga brother, we are the equivalent to those on The Wall (keep the Chitiba Wildlings out of the rest of Malawi).  Along the lake, we have also adapted the Stark saying to "Hot Season is Coming."  Well I have news, hot season has arrived.  No matter how often I clean my sheets, one night and they are soaked and the next day after they dry you can see the caked up salt from so much sweat.  I wish I had a good thermometer for getting room temperatures, but it would probably max out, so I use a meat thermometer (cause lets face it, if we were human roasts, we'd be done), and it is easily in the triple digits inside my house.  I don't even want to know what it is in the sun.

Fletcher and Tako are now getting along so well.  The two of them play constantly, and a little rough for a concerned parent.  The only problem is dinner time, when Fletch has realized her size and doesn't want to let Tako near the food bowl, even after Fletch is full.  I've started feeding Tako up on a chair so Fletch can't argue.

I'm reading GoT, as previously stated, and am 70% done book 3.  For the GoT fans out there that have ready this book, WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?  This might be the best book so far.

Wish I had some funny stories for you, but just making friends around town and such, nothing special.  I had a fun time last week watching the Gators beat Texas A&M on DVD (Thanks Steve!) on my laptop in the TDC with random Malawians coming to see what I was so worked up about.  I also have received word that the Gators beat LSU, which is amazing and awesome and I bet The Swamp was nuts.  I'm not necessarily disappointed I have up a couple football seasons for this experience, but why did I have to get the last two years and miss this year?  Any RPCVs that worked it so you missed '10 and '11, good work.

Last week was like Christmas, but better cause I didn't have to buy anyone anything.  So I guess it was like my birthday!  I got three care packages in one week!  Thanks to Juice, The Zahoras, and Mom!  The contents are varied and amazing!

Well, I know you all count on me for exciting fun stories of adventures and crazy things, so here's a super quick one.  It happened on my way here today.  A little background, we've already discussed the term "Azungu" and how children will chant it like I'm a genie that will grant their wishes if they say my name enough.  They also like to shout random English they know like "Hello, Bye-bye, How are you?" and everyone's favorite "Give me money."  Well on my way here, I passed a few kids about 12 years old, and one goes "Azungu!  Give me money." so I look at him and say "No."  I keep riding my bike past them, and another one goes "I'll give you money."  I skid my bike to an immediate stop, turn around and go "Ok!"  They look confused as I hold out my hand and say "Ndrama?" (money).  The kid then realizes he might have said it wrong and immediately tried to back out of the situation, but I just stand there holding my hand out for the money.  After I feel these three children and thoroughly terrified they're going to have to pay me off, I blatantly laugh at them, get on my bike and ride away.  This has given me the idea that next time I get the 'Azungu, give me money' I'm going to stop my bike, practice my Chitumbuka, and keep following the kids and telling them they need to give me money.  Let's see how long this is fun. (Scaring children is fun in any culture!)

That's all I got!  Sorry I can't be more entertaining on a regular basis, but let me tell you, my letters are amazing, and I respond to any letters you mail me (address can be found under "Send Me Stuff, Please!").  The best way to mail me a letter is to write something nice and interesting for me to read, updating me about your life, include a few pictures (I use them as wallpaper), and put that all in an envelope.  Then put that envelope into a box loaded will all sorts of goodies, and mail it off to me!  Thanks in advanced!

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I have to hear more stories of following the children to give you money!! They will learn eventually!! =) Keep it up, Nick! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you. Scare as many children as you possibly can. Also, your puppy is ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete